5 Foods & Nutrition Recommendations That Enhance Your Natural Fertility
There are a number of ways to enhance fertility naturally. Fertility Yoga is one of them it helps you relax (& reduce stress) which can lead to balancing your body and hormones (read more); likewise nutrition is a key factor…
As a Health and Fertility coach I would give you 5 recommendations:
- Add fibre and vitamins (vitamins C & B mainly) to your diet: vegetables, fruits and whole grains
- Incorporate more vegetarian sources of iron: nuts, seeds, whole grains, tofu and legumes
- Increase intake of vegetable protein and lower animal protein
- Stop consuming low-fat or fat free dairy. A Harvard University study showed that women who ate more than two portions a day of low-fat dairy foods were 85 percent more likely to be infertile due to ovulatory disorders than those who only ate it less than once a week.
- Increase the intake of mono-saturated fats (like avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) and decrease the intake of Trans/saturated fats (like dairy butter, greasy meat, cheddar cheese, etc.)
Fertility issues can be a consequence of malnutrition; being overweight or underweight can affect your chances of conceiving.
The 5 Foods That Enhance Your Natural Fertility are:
- Avocado: Eat one avocado a day. Research has shown that the consumption of salad with avocado and olive oil mixture can help women to get pregnant.
- Broccoli & broccoli leafs: This is a super fertility food, it contains a fibre and compounds (calcium, manganese, folic acid, etc.) that helps balancing hormones.
- Artichokes: They are low in calories and fat, but high in vitamins and folic acid. Additionally they where a symbol of fertility in ancient Egypt.
- Almonds: Adds good & healthy fats (monosaturated) to your diet and contains Zinc which is crucial for conception. They are a symbol of fertility and this is why they are a tradition in weddings of different religion and traditions.
- Spinach: Rich in in Folic acid (1 cup = 263 mcg of folate (65% DV)), Manganese and Iron. Prefer raw organic spinach since it will give you far more nutrients than boiled or steamed.
Try to avoid excess caffeine and alcohol
This also applies to those couples undergoing IVF (in-vitro fertilization).
It takes two to tango, men are also in this equation so this 5 foods will also enhance male fertility (including sperm count): “Men who are looking to have a baby also have a responsibility to maintain a healthy body weight and consume a balanced diet, because male obesity may affect fertility by altering testosterone and other hormone levels,” Schantz said 
Follow my blog and Instagram for fertility boosting recipes and happy healthy eating habits
Nina Tascon-Pink (@birthyogamama)
Fertility, Birth & Health Coach
 Thomas, Robert B. (1997) Jordan almonds likely a fertility symbol, http://www.deseretnews.com/article/570995/Jordan-almonds-likely-a-fertility-symbol.html?pg=all
 Schantz, Brooke (2013), Loyola University Health System, http://loyolamedicine.org/newswire/news/infertility-problems-here-are-some-eating-tips-boost-fertility